Antibiotic Resistance, Business, Food Safety and Human Illness, Lifestyle

Is Chipotle having a moral awakening, or is it their pocketbook?

Last week, Chipotle announced that some beef they serve would be from animals that had been given treatment antibiotics, which was a big change from their current “naturally raised” policies that don’t allow any beef from cows that were ever given antibiotics. This was good news for the beef cattle of the country, until we found out later that they were “just kidding.”

Have you ever gone to the doctor feeling like “death warmed over” and been sent home with no medicine?  This is often the situation for a cow in farms that are raising antibiotic free (ABF) animals.  Because receiving a treatment means you will, in most cases, make less money for your producer, you are sent home with no treatment. Today, Panera won’t take you. Hyatt won’t take you. Chipotle tells their consumers they won’t take you – but they actually will, prefaced with a small sign.

Chris Arnold said in an email that Chipotle was going to start selling beef from cows that had been given treatment antibiotics (still banning meat from those given prevention antibiotics). I thought this was a good step in the right direction, until he retracted his statement and said that Chipotle will stand behind their current manipulation of the consumer with their “no antibiotics ever” campaign. Campaigns like this one are confusing for the consumer, who may think that conventional meat leaves “antibiotics in their burrito bowl.” Just because an animal was given antibiotics does not mean that there are antibiotics or even antibiotic residues in your food.

This “no antibiotics ever” policy only applies, of course, when they have the beef raised without antibiotics on hand. Apparently, when they do run out, they abandon their famous “ethically conscious” campaign, and put up a small sign that says that their beef doesn’t in fact come from antibiotic-free farms. I suppose those who miss this small sign won’t sleep well when they find out that they ate perfectly healthy beef from a conventional farm.

So, are you confused about Chipotle’s stand on this issue? So are we. Now the question stands, why are they considering switching to allowing beef treated with antibiotics? Did Chipotle arrive at this decision because they are concerned about the fact that animals may suffer on ABF farms that are striving to fill a quota of non-treated meat? Or did they make this decision for financial gain?  Their announcement said there was a shortage of ABF meat. Shortage usually means increased cost.

Chipotle and the others seem to be selling a moral conscience driven product. If that is true, then I appeal to their conscience to make the final decision to allow beef treated with antibiotics and let the piglets and the chicks of the world be treated also. I do not support antibiotic overuse or misuse, by farmers or veterinarians. But I think “the doctor (vet) knows best.”

Discussion

119 thoughts on “Is Chipotle having a moral awakening, or is it their pocketbook?

1. Hurrah, that’s what I was searching for, what
    a data! present here at this web site, hanks admin of this site.

Posted by seo Hemel Hempstead | July 23, 2014, 7:20 pm
  2. The company offers low cost service and makes shipping process convenient.

As I am communicating services, Practical goal referring to the switching your property from
    stage A to suggest M. If you are not in the mood of spending much on moving, the moving service provides the facility of a
    trailer.

Posted by Moving companies In bloomington indiana | July 23, 2014, 9:16 pm
  3. Apparently to have a pair of stilted shoes with shiny red bottoms is something sought after, a thing to be desired, a status item.
    Sunless tanning saves you from the harmful ultraviolet radiation of the sun. This
    will close the pores and stop you getting the tell-tale black spots.
    list of things to keep in mind when you select a spray tan expert from London:.
    With that issue aside, my next concern was how it would dry, and how the results
    as far as color looked. Just recently several laws have been passed to
    limit the use of UV tanning beds and so once again Americans
    have fallen back on the old favorite, suntan creams. When starting a business, advertising and promoting is
    crucial to the success of your business. When the light enters
    your skin, the pigment called melanin absorbs it and produces heat energy
    which destroys the hair follicles. The secret
    to a gorgeous spray tan lies in the way you prepare your skin before tanning.
    The art of appealing to the masses and judges through one’s intelligence, charms and beauty
    is what an individual learns here.

Posted by gradual tan tips | July 24, 2014, 3:26 am
  4. It’s in fact very complicated in this busy life to listen news on Television, therefore I only use internet for that
    reason, and get the hottest information.

Posted by cracker sniper elite 3 gratuitment | July 24, 2014, 8:47 am
  5. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you
    relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know
    what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just
    posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

Posted by Roxie | July 24, 2014, 1:06 pm
  6. I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both educative and entertaining,
    and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
    Thhe issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m vry happy thwt I came across ths during my search for something regarding this.

Posted by najbolja dijeta za mršavljenje | July 24, 2014, 7:19 pm
  7. Quality posts is the secret to invite the users to visit the
    web page, that’s what this web page is providing.

Posted by blown in insulation removal machine | July 26, 2014, 5:09 am
  8. These “duty like” activities can be covered up well if the source product is involving.
    “The Office” is a television series broadcast by NBC. [tries to hide piece of paper, but Pam grabs it] Pam:
    [reading from paper] Can you make that straighter.

Posted by Boom Beach hack Android | July 26, 2014, 5:56 am
  9. I do believe all the concepts you’ve introduced for your post.
    They’re very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too
    brief forr starters. May you please lengthen them a bit
    from next time? Thank you for the post.

Posted by register free domains | July 26, 2014, 6:10 am
  10. Good day I am so excited I found your weblog, I really found you by mistake, while I
    was searching on Google for something else, Anyways I am here
    now and would just like to say many thanks for a incredible post
    and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse
    it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added
    in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the great jo.

Posted by cheat generator farmville 2 | July 26, 2014, 11:51 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Duh Chipotle, the udder is on the bottom of the cow, not the side. | The Adventures of Dairy Carrie... I think I Need a Drink! - September 16, 2013

2. Pingback: The Chipotle Cheese Farmer & What Does The Chipotle Video Portray? | The Adventures of Dairy Carrie... I think I Need a Drink! - September 24, 2013

3. Pingback: Tools to Help You Cultivate a Better World - September 28, 2013