Antibiotic Resistance, Business, Food Safety and Human Illness, Lifestyle

Is Chipotle having a moral awakening, or is it their pocketbook?

Last week, Chipotle announced that some beef they serve would be from animals that had been given treatment antibiotics, which was a big change from their current “naturally raised” policies that don’t allow any beef from cows that were ever given antibiotics. This was good news for the beef cattle of the country, until we found out later that they were “just kidding.”

Have you ever gone to the doctor feeling like “death warmed over” and been sent home with no medicine?  This is often the situation for a cow in farms that are raising antibiotic free (ABF) animals.  Because receiving a treatment means you will, in most cases, make less money for your producer, you are sent home with no treatment. Today, Panera won’t take you. Hyatt won’t take you. Chipotle tells their consumers they won’t take you – but they actually will, prefaced with a small sign.

Chris Arnold said in an email that Chipotle was going to start selling beef from cows that had been given treatment antibiotics (still banning meat from those given prevention antibiotics). I thought this was a good step in the right direction, until he retracted his statement and said that Chipotle will stand behind their current manipulation of the consumer with their “no antibiotics ever” campaign. Campaigns like this one are confusing for the consumer, who may think that conventional meat leaves “antibiotics in their burrito bowl.” Just because an animal was given antibiotics does not mean that there are antibiotics or even antibiotic residues in your food.

This “no antibiotics ever” policy only applies, of course, when they have the beef raised without antibiotics on hand. Apparently, when they do run out, they abandon their famous “ethically conscious” campaign, and put up a small sign that says that their beef doesn’t in fact come from antibiotic-free farms. I suppose those who miss this small sign won’t sleep well when they find out that they ate perfectly healthy beef from a conventional farm.

So, are you confused about Chipotle’s stand on this issue? So are we. Now the question stands, why are they considering switching to allowing beef treated with antibiotics? Did Chipotle arrive at this decision because they are concerned about the fact that animals may suffer on ABF farms that are striving to fill a quota of non-treated meat? Or did they make this decision for financial gain?  Their announcement said there was a shortage of ABF meat. Shortage usually means increased cost.

Chipotle and the others seem to be selling a moral conscience driven product. If that is true, then I appeal to their conscience to make the final decision to allow beef treated with antibiotics and let the piglets and the chicks of the world be treated also. I do not support antibiotic overuse or misuse, by farmers or veterinarians. But I think “the doctor (vet) knows best.”

Discussion

44 thoughts on “Is Chipotle having a moral awakening, or is it their pocketbook?

1. “No antibiotics ever” is so irresponsible. I can’t imagine not treating a sick animal.

Posted by Cheryl Strautz (@dynaracer33) | August 22, 2013, 10:55 am
    • I agree! Thanks for your comment and keeping up with Hurd Health.

Posted by Dr. Scott Hurd | August 23, 2013, 9:34 am
    • As a producer for Chipotle its my decision on weather to treat an animal or not and if I do then it just doesn’t go to chipotle. A dead animal is worth $0.00, a treated animal through another market is still worth good money. If anyone is irresponsible its an individual producer not a company that wants to provide a specific product to a specific consumer.

Posted by Brady O'Connor | August 29, 2013, 11:21 pm
      • Brady

Thanks for your comments. I have been hoping to hear from concerned and responsible producers like yourself. Are you in beef production? Individual animal treatment is a bit more straightforward in this case.

My concern is large systems for pork and poultry where a treatment decision is barn driven. The cost of treatment is much higher, don’t you think?

Keep taking care of those critters

Dr. Hurd

Posted by Dr. Scott Hurd | August 30, 2013, 11:31 am
      • I produce pork for Niman Ranch Pork Company which supplys Chipotle. There aren’t any “large” systems in the Niman Ranch Company because of the high standards of care required. These ABF pigs don’t come out of 1200 head finishers. There may be ABF producers somewhere that are bad producers and just trying to make an extra $1.00 but Chipotles pork comes from small family farms that produce high quality pork. The ABF factor is only a small part of why Chipotle chose Niman Ranch Pork. AS far as Chipotle’s Beef and chicken I don’t know where it comes from and can’t speak on those products.

Posted by Brady O'Connor | August 30, 2013, 12:41 pm
      • Thanks for the information, keep up the good work!

Posted by Dr. Scott Hurd | August 30, 2013, 4:32 pm
  2. Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
    so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any helpful hints for inexperienced blog writers?
    I’d really appreciate it.

Posted by google adwords login | February 24, 2014, 3:23 am
  3. What’s up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this article i thought i could also
    create comment due to this brilliant paragraph.

Posted by computer jobs from home | March 5, 2014, 11:31 am
  4. Howdy I am so happy I found your blog, I really found you by error,
    while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse
    it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I
    have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the fantastic
    jo.

Posted by Http://Blogs.Rediff.Com/Clemmiedominique/2014/02/17/Straightforward-Systems-Of-Zumba-Fitness-Insights | March 6, 2014, 12:25 am
  5. Excellent way of explaining, and fastidious post to obtain data regarding my presentation
    focus, which i am going to present in institution of higher education.

Posted by http://www.mvmengineer.com/ | March 6, 2014, 1:00 am
  6. My family members all the time say that I am wasting my time here at
    web, but I know I am getting experience every day by
    reading thes nice posts.

Posted by video battle camp triche | March 6, 2014, 3:22 pm
  7. Robert Duce writes about best web rpg games, browser-based games, online browser games, best mmorpg games.
    Whether you are a hard core gamer or just a weekend gamer, everyone
    has their own personal best video game system and games. Playing doctor is a time-held tradition
    amongst kids.

Posted by dungeon keeper 2 patch fr | March 7, 2014, 7:20 am
  8. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never
    found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
    In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content
    as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

Posted by Vallie | March 10, 2014, 9:52 pm
  9. Link exchange is nothing else however iit is simply placing the
    other person’s website link on yoour page at appropriate place and other person will also do sazme in support of you.

Posted by Free Roulette Blog | March 10, 2014, 9:55 pm
  10. Smart vehicle GPS navigation system now with a twist.
    Have you ever thought about becoming a taxi driver.
    Cab drivers are familiar with the locations
    of most of the downtown landmarks and hotels, but the
    more specific you can be about where you want
    to go, the easier things will go for you in the cab.

Posted by taxi kielce | March 13, 2014, 9:31 pm
  11. We stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I might check things out.

I like what I see so now i’m following you.
    Look forward to finding out about your web page again.

Posted by Primerica | March 15, 2014, 8:26 am
  12. This article is genuinely a pleasant one it assists new net viewers, who are
    wishing in favor of blogging.

Posted by best over the range microwave | March 16, 2014, 4:08 am
  13. Yours is an excellent example of enlightening writing.
    I think my students could learn a lot from your writing style and your articles.

I may share this post with them.

Posted by jillian michaels revolution | March 16, 2014, 10:44 pm
  14. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking
    issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and
    both show the same outcome.

Posted by je m'appelle hmmm telecharger | March 18, 2014, 7:46 pm
  15. It’s remarkable designed for me to have a web page, which is useful in support of my experience.

thanks admin

Posted by best hunting binoculars | March 18, 2014, 8:45 pm
  16. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my website so
    i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to
    find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

Posted by Chanda | March 21, 2014, 8:48 am
  17. great points altogether, you just received a new reader.

What could you recommend about your publish that you just made some days in the past?

Any positive?

Posted by driver genius professional 14 crack | March 22, 2014, 6:59 am
  18. I’ve learned a few important things as a result of your post.
    I would also like to say that there will be a situation where you
    will apply for a loan and never need a cosigner such as a Federal
    Student Aid Loan. However, if you are getting that loan through a standard bank or investment company then you need to be prepared to have a co-signer ready to assist
    you. The lenders are going to base any decision on the few
    variables but the biggest will be your credit standing.

There are some financial institutions that will in addition look
    at your work history and make up your mind based on this but in most cases it
    will be based on on your credit score.

Posted by easy recipes | March 25, 2014, 6:01 am
  19. Whether this is just wishful thinking or not will only be found
    out when Apple releases the next phone to an eager market.
    A Gold i – Phone has the tech world abuzz this week, as word
    of greater stock and an improved access to the i – Phone 5S gold device has reached the
    ears of mobile phone users across the U. A lot of speculation has
    come from both analysts and the Apple community about what features and specs the handset
    will have.

Posted by Clash Of Clan Android Telecharger | March 25, 2014, 2:23 pm
  20. Initially only AT&T was able to offer Apple smartphones,
    but now the other major US wireless providers have taken a
    bite out of the Apple handset craze, so it isn’t unrealistic to see the i
    - Phone with prepaid carriers. i – Phone unlocking is the process of removing SIM (Subscribers Identity
    Module) restrictions to allow users the chance to use another carrier SIM cards
    for their i – Phone. They zoomed seamlessly, adding relevant street names seemingly
    as I needed to know them.

Posted by Game Of War Fire Age Tricher | March 28, 2014, 6:44 am
  21. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you really know
    what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also
    seek advice from my site =). We will have a hyperlink trade arrangement between
    us

Posted by diet eating plans for women | March 29, 2014, 4:23 am
  22. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appearance.
    I must say you have done a fantastic job with this. Additionally,
    the blog loads extremely quick for me on Chrome. Superb Blog!

Posted by seonachrichten.jimdo.com | March 30, 2014, 6:24 pm
  23. There is a month-to-month subscription plan that allows you to
    purchase games for as much as 80% off the regular price.
    Players must use the candy bar names listed to write a story
    about the bride and groom’s wedding night.
    As I don’t buy Collector’s Edition games as, to me,
    they’re not worth the additional money, I had to wait an extra few weeks for
    BG to put Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince, the normal version, up on their site
    for sale.

Posted by Palma | March 31, 2014, 1:58 am
  24. I have been looking into several of your stories and i must say nice stuff.
    I will certainly bookmark your site.

Posted by best acne treatment pills | April 3, 2014, 8:12 pm
  25. Great info. Lucky me I ran across your site by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have saved as a favorite for later!

Posted by la culture du cannabis | April 5, 2014, 5:40 am
  26. Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids. I found a sea shell and
    gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the
    shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

Posted by marijuana growing videos | April 5, 2014, 5:42 am
  27. Image credits: Screenshots taken by the author, Nokia logo By Z10x at en.
    I found a lot of enjoyment in this installment of The Sims as well.

This type of practice facilitates your connection with spirit, or the source of your inspiration.

Posted by the sims freeplay for android free Download | April 5, 2014, 3:22 pm
  28. Grass-fed meat and dairy products have less fat and more vitamin E, betacarotene and cancer-fighting fatty acids than factory-farm products.

Posted by Grass Feed Organic Beef | April 10, 2014, 1:25 pm
  29. Before the X-Box and WII, 80′s kids grew up with
    2-dimensional games with simple handheld gaming devices or consoles like Sega and Atari.
    will ask from you tactical combat, there is a possibility
    to set up ambushes, and use special abilities to dodge and destroy alien enemies.
    gs which is completely committed to zealous players.

Posted by Brave Frontier IPhone | April 10, 2014, 8:04 pm
  30. But don’t let the small size fool you into passing up this book.
    This is why it is especially important to check the many valleys and crevices to make sure
    nothing is in the way, as that will ensure everything work properly.
    Their controlling society and laws have evolved into our
    own religions and societies today.

Posted by how to buy gems In clash of clans for Free | April 14, 2014, 10:57 am
  31. Some of these games have a simple setting and an even simpler gameplay,
    but some of them require more time and concentration, and of course patience here is the key virtue,
    these games tend to have complicated rules which cannot
    be broken under any circumstances. Earthbound-Mother 2This
    game has one of the best story lines of any game ever
    heard. Baldurs Gate 2 takes place in the land of Faerun, populated with mystical beings like dragons, trolls, gnomes,
    elves, humans and dwarfs.

Posted by acheter des gemmes Brave Frontier | April 14, 2014, 8:36 pm
  32. The most common of these three will be the channel catfish.
    My life is now in Christ Jesus, my Lord, and I am forever set
    free from all of these curses now on this earth.
    The company’s promising logo is “A New Game Every Day.

Posted by big Fish Likes | April 17, 2014, 7:30 am
  33. Look at the charge of making a call in terms of connection cost plus the amount
    charged for each minute of use. It offers top quality elements that will
    guard your system from prospective damages. Samsung’s dedication to innovation and quality control has lived on throughout the company’s
    duration.

Posted by car | April 18, 2014, 7:23 pm
  34. The First Dollar You Save Is The Seed From Which Your Tree Of Wealth Shall Grow
    ‘ The Sooner You Plant That Seed ‘ The Sooner
    Shall The Tree Grow. The golden toad and the harlequin
    frog of Costa Rica are gone completely as a result of the global warming
    changes we are experiencing. The Ptarmigan, a plant-eating
    bird that thrives in the northern tundra, dons white feathers that
    not only hide them from their enemies, but with the white long feathers that
    grow over the feet and legs and down to the toes,
    it gives them warmer gear to survive in the frigid temperatures.

Posted by Zynga Poker Facebook | April 19, 2014, 8:10 am
  35. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads
    up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in
    Internet explorer. I’m not sure if this is a format
    issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon.
    Kudos

Posted by blues piano lessons online | April 19, 2014, 4:00 pm
  36. Never before heard of a steam shower enclosure until I discovered this incredible website, so thankful I did so want to have
    one right now and finances allowing will likely be purchasing one soon enough

Posted by luxury steam showers | April 19, 2014, 11:58 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Duh Chipotle, the udder is on the bottom of the cow, not the side. | The Adventures of Dairy Carrie... I think I Need a Drink! - September 16, 2013

2. Pingback: The Chipotle Cheese Farmer & What Does The Chipotle Video Portray? | The Adventures of Dairy Carrie... I think I Need a Drink! - September 24, 2013

3. Pingback: Tools to Help You Cultivate a Better World - September 28, 2013